Sunday, May 27, 2007

What is love?

When I was 7 my teacher asked us to write about someone we loved
“I love my mama, very much” I wrote small hands clutching tightly the red crayon
When I was 7 that was love.
When I was 12 I started a journal to write about what I loved
“I love the girl with the dark hair and glasses in my homeroom class, she doesn't know it yet but tomorrow she will,” In huge thick pencil lines across the page
The next day
“She knows it and she doesn't like me back, I hate girls”
When I was 12 that was love
When I was 17 in the same journal I wrote in small ink lines
“I love her, and she loves me, we made out today and it was amazing”
When I was 17 that was love
When I was 25 I wrote in a blog for all the world to see
“I love the way you look at me
I love you because you are so gentle with my heart”
2 Months later it was over...
When I was 25 that was love
I asked my father what love was to him
“Holding my infant son in my arms for the first time, ”
For my father that is love
I asked my grandmother just to see and she said
“I love having my whole family around me, all of the kids, grandkids and great grandkids.”
For my grandmother that is what love is.
So when you ask me to tell you the meaning of love, what it is all about, and what it means I have to say
“Love changes gracefully with the seasons, never quite settling on a place or a person, love just is never the same from one day to the next. Love is all of it.”
Perhaps my whole lifetime, I may find that that is the meaning of love.

No comments: